- Use up-to-date anti-virus and anti-malware programs and firewalls.
- Make sure that your operating system and software are current and patched.
- Back up your data. Ransomware is a growing threat that can be avoided if you have backed up your data.
- Encrypt sensitive information before storing or sending.
- Be cautious when using wireless connections and Wi-Fi hotspots. Most public Wi-Fi is insecure. Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to create a secure connection.
- Do not use the same password for multiple accounts. Instead, use strong passwords  that are unique to each account. This is particularly important for your most sensitive online accounts.
- Utilize two-factor authentication when available.
- Before you donate, sell or discard your computer or device, be sure to securely wipe all personal data. Deleting files is not enough!